Adam and Grant's Blog

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Thursday PM - I'll try to get as much information in as little time/space as possible as tomorrow is a long and early day. Our visits with the boys were early today as I had to work an evening shift and Heidi and her mom were working at our house again this afternoon and evening. I first went to Grant's to drop off his head roll (the thing that corrects his "toaster head"). He was sleeping and being fed through his tube, so I hurried down to Adam's unit. Again, he was wide awake and his nurse insisted that I hold him, although she didn't have to ask more than once if I wanted. I know this is repetitive, but he was more awake, calm, and alert today than since he was born. Not even as long as my forearm from fingertip to elbow, he snuggles in next to my chest and continually looks around. There didn't seem to be any apprehension or fear, even after everything that has happened to him, just a heightened since of curiosity peaked by not having to look through a bunch of tubes in front of his face. Unlike yesterday, there were no "conniption fits", although tonight his nurse reported (via phone) he was having one when I called to check on him. I spent more time with him than I should have, but much less than I wanted.

Since Adam occupied my time I didn't get to spend much with Grant, as he was sleeping when I returned. Heidi had the good fortune of spending quality time with both of them today. Adam was sleeping more with her than he was with me, but he was still more relaxed than she has ever seen him. Grant was just a lot of fun for her, and I'm looking forward to my next quality session with him.

Both are gaining weight, and we are moving towards the date for Adam's surgery next week. As he grows and becomes more alert, it's getting tougher for us to imagine what lies ahead for him. All the doctors and nurses are very reassuring, and we know there is no better place in the world, literally, for his surgery. We'll just be glad when it's all finished and he's back to being the inquisitive little guy that he has become in the last two days.

Lastly, I'm going to ask anyone who lives in the Houston area and reads this to consider donating blood for Adam. He has the type that is most difficult to find (O-negative), and finding that type without the CMV virus is even more difficult. Apparently the CMV can't be detected until after the donation, but your donation will still be put to good use. If you need any further information, leave a comment here or send me an email. I'm not sure if I will post tomorrow night or Saturday, but until then, thanks to everyone for your prayers and support.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aboleta said...

Dear Family, Wayne, Heidi, Grant and Adam: (And to all the readers of this site)

I am home in California and your baby’s faces, smiles, cries, and the littlest something, continue to stay in my heart and the vision of them is on going. Oh My!!!!! This is LOVE!!!!! I dare not even imagine when, where, how...I will go crazy. Today, just an early visit to the hospital, Heidi said,” why don't you hold Grant?" I said, "I don't think I am ready." SURPRISE!!! He was in my arms and oh my, you can't imagine the feelings of grand emotional love, for this little boy of gentleness, golden hair, tiny nose, and big eyes looking at me, and all around to see, “who is this person?" I will forever remember this a first for me... my first grandson in my arms. My internal loving tears are in my eyes as I write. I tell you, to see the boys in person is an experience like none I have ever known. Their individual personalities, smiles, eyes, and precious souls, will touch you deeply as they have my heart. I read a book to Grant and sang, to Adam. Adam thought two verses of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" were all he needed. Both boys are so alert, beautiful and very, very, curious of life around them. Mom and Dad have the magic touch and the boys also have their favorite nurses. Blessings always to my family, covering them with all of life’s treasures...they are in their lives right now...Grant and Adam, "The Boys!!!!"

Love, love, love

Nanna (California)

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home