Adam and Grant's Blog

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Sunday PM - This is by far the longest roller coaster ride we've ever been on. Since the last post, we had spoken with the Chief Pediatrician of the Critical Care Unit. He wants to get Adam home and the plan was to set everything in motion for him to be home no later than Friday February 23. We were nervous but very excited at the prospect. This conversation actually happened yesterday (Satuurday). Comes today, and I go to the hospital after work. I waltz in to Adam's room only to be met by the nurse who tells me he's doing OK BUT... he's having a rapid heartbeat. He looks and seems to feel just fine, actually in a pretty good mood, but that pesky heart monitor says his heart is beating too fast. Fast forward to six hours or so later - reluctantly the doctors are transferring him back to ICU to have the hands-on monitoring he was getting before. In 24 hours we've gone from talking about his homecoming to shipping him back to ICU. From the "things-could-be-worse-department": His blood pressure, oxygen level, and overall general demeanor are unchanged. I left him tonight in a good state, and if it wasn't for the monitor, no one would no any difference. The plan is to check and adjust his medication, and also a central venous line was readjusted that may or may not have been causing the problem. We should know more in a day or so. He doesn't seem to be in any immediate danger, but this is why they monitor and get an early jump on any problems.

On a lighter note, I spent the afternoon and evening with Grant yesterday. He gets to be more fun every day. I think I'm going to have to buy a hoist to lift myself off the couch when I'm holding him. It seems I pulled one of those ligaments in my right knee while trying to stand up. He's not getting any lighter.

Keep Adam in your thoughts and prayers, and I will post his progress NLT Wednesday...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home