Adam and Grant's Blog

Monday, September 11, 2006

Monday PM - I unintentionally took two days off from posting, and it was a fairly uneventful weekend. Wish I could say that about today, but more on that in a moment. I held Grant for the first time ever, and got the whole euphoria thing going again. He continues to improve and we're looking forward to his being able to take milk again. Adam was tolerating his milk as well, and is hovering around the 3lb mark, 2lb 15oz to be exact.

Whenever the cell phone rings and the hospital number comes up, there's a range of emotion from slight apprehension to outright panic. That's why I have the doctors call me, then I call Heidi if we're not together. This morning the neonatologist called with concerns that Adam was possibly developing an infection. The white blood cell count was high, so they started him on antibiotics, took spinal fluid via a spinal tap, and began cultures on the fluid as well as his urine and blood. These take up to 3 days to look for the offending bugs. As a precaution they also stopped his feeding, just until tomorrow for now.

The cardioligists also told us today that they are looking at September 21 for his surgery. They still have the no-big-deal-all-is-routine approach, which is fine with us. Obvioiusly we're having mixed emotions about it all. It's tough to imagine him going through the surgery, but the alternative is not an option. Better yet, his overall condition will improve once he recovers since he won't be using all his calories for breathing and other life activities. If he'll stop trying to make things more "interesting" for us and the medical staff, we should get through this.

Grant is behaving, more or less. Heidi held him this morning and he was awake about half the time. For me last night, he slept all the time. But the nurses say that when he's sleeping, he's growing. The doctors are giving him Lasix to help with the water retention, but they still don't seem to be too concerned.

Before posting this I wanted to acknowledge the posts (5 at last count!!) to the last entry. We are very fortunate to have family and friends literally from all parts of the world giving us support. Knowing that you're reading keeps us going, and when the boys are old enough they will see all of the love that was sent their way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aboleta said...

Wayne:
I treasure each reading and it is so important for me to hear what you write about the boys. I know this is where to get the data and I check often through out the day. I am just checking to see all details and continue to pray, pray and pray. Their eyes and spirit is being weaved into my heart for life. I am going to see you as planned and you can plan on me being "present" for all of you.just make sure I can get into the special unit to see the babies (they didn't have my name). Love to all of you from California and everyone here, Chicago, New York, the world. I feel so grateful to have your family in my life.

Love to all,

Nanna (California)

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home