Adam and Grant's Blog

Thursday, September 07, 2006

I thought I had posted an entry this morning but apparently I made a blank entry and then posted it. Fortunately I am able to delete my mistakes, which technially means I still have a perfect blog. ;-) Worse yet, I can't remember what I posted except that both boys are beginning to become more active again. Heidi's mom and I visited them this morning while Heidi stayed behind to rest. Tonight Heidi and I returned to see both boys mostly active and able to hold their eyes open. Grant seems to be recovering from his bacterial infection, but will be on antibiotics for a while. Moreover, he won't be able to take milk for at least another week until the doctors are sure his g/i tract is completely healed. His weight as of today is 4lb 8oz.

Last night I was able to hold Adam for about 25 minutes. As silly as this sounds, I left with a mild case of euphoria. It was Heidi's turn tonight, and he seemed more alert than ever. He opened his eyes several times and put his hand on top of hers. He's also starting to pack on the weight at 2lb 14oz

We heard from the cardiologist today about Adam. Without getting into minute details, he's going to have to have heart surgery in 2 - 4 weeks. If anyone wants to look it up, he has patent ductus arteriosus, which has to be corrected. At that time the surgeon will also look at his ventricular septum to see if that can be repaired at the same time. We're very apprehensive about it, but at the same time we know it needs to be done. The doctors who do this sort of thing are fairly matter-of-fact about everything. According to them, nothing Adam has is new to them. Their approach is actually comforting. They are already planning his recovery time, and are telling us he will have the surgery at Texas Children's Hospital, then return to The Woman's Hospital to be with his brother. We truly believe thath the best of the best will be working with Adam.

For now we are going to enjoy visiting with both boys as they grow and change. It's amazing how much they have changed already. Adam may start taking milk in the next day or so, and Grant hopefully won't be far behind. I hope to have some new pictures added to the Yahoo folder by Saturday. Keep checking both sites and let us hear from you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home